People working in the shipyards in New York have many different types of jobs. People may have jobs as welders, fabricators, electricians, plumbers, riggers and many other types of jobs. These different jobs have different job requirements, but these various individuals work in similar conditions and face potential dangers every day. Sometimes shipyard accidents occur and unfortunately workers can be injured as result.
There are many different reasons that there are accidents in shipyards, but certain aspects of the jobs create more likelihood that an injury may occur.
Causes of shipyard injuries
The following are some caused of shipyard injuries:
- Working conditions – there are many dangers that exist in shipyards that workers are constantly working around. They may need to work in cramped spaces or high up as well creating fall risks.
- Hours – shipyard jobs can require odd hours and depending on the job, there is an expectation that when they are needed people go to work.
- Machinery – workers work with and around various large machinery. If there is a malfunction or other errors serious injuries can result.
- Slip and falls – there can be water on many different surfaces as well as other liquid substances, which creates the potential for slip and fall injuries.
- Fires – There are many different chemicals and there can be a lot of sparks or other dangers from the various aspects that go into the ships.
- High pressure in spaces – there can be high pressure in the cramped spaces workers work, which can lead to hearing problems
- Asbestos – many ships used and still use asbestos as part of the construction. Inhaling asbestos can lead to diseases such as mesothelioma.
There are many different working conditions that shipyard workers encounter every day. Many of these working conditions can lead to injuries. Some may be injuries that occur right away and other injuries may develop over time. Both types of injuries can be very devastating for the workers both physically and financially. While it will not heal the injuries, the worker may be entitled to compensation, which can be very helpful for the financial hardships. Experienced attorneys understand how devastating the injuries can be and may be able to help one receive what they deserve.