Experience You Can
Depend On

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Longshore Act
  4.  » How to I make a claim under the Longshore Act?

How to I make a claim under the Longshore Act?

On Behalf of | Oct 14, 2020 | Longshore Act

Those who work in maritime employment are not covered by standard workers’ compensation laws. This means that if they become injured on the job, they can not turn to standard workers’ compensation laws to cover their financial damages, so they instead have to look for other options. Luckily, the Longshore And Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWC) can provide for the payment of compensation for these workers.

If you are an employee in a traditional maritime occupation, for example, if you are a longshore worker, shipbuilder or ship repairer, you are likely to be covered by the LHWC in the event that you become injured. The following is an overview of what you need to know about the LHWC and how you can go about making a claim.

What benefits does the LHWC provide?

If you successfully make a claim under the LHWC, you’ll be able to be compensated for all of the medical costs that are associated with the accident or injury. In addition, you’ll be able to gain access to rehabilitation services if you have become disabled and no longer able to continue in your job.

How do I make a claim?

To make a claim, you should start by notifying your supervisor or employer representative as soon as you can after the injury. You should then seek the appropriate medical treatment. You must then give written notice of injury to your employer within 30 days, and they file a written claim within one year with the Office of Workers’ Compensation.

Unfortunately, seamen (masters or members of any crew or vessel) and employees of the United States government are not eligible to file claims under the LHWC.

If you have been injured as a maritime employee, you should make sure that you understand your rights to compensation and that you take action as soon as possible.