Experience You Can
Depend On

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  » Royal Caribbean facing first lawsuits after storm disaster

Royal Caribbean facing first lawsuits after storm disaster

On Behalf of | Mar 15, 2016 | Personal Injury

Several weeks ago we wrote a blog post about the Royal Caribbean cruise ship the Anthem of the Seas which, as you may know from news reports, was caught in a storm last month that caused damage to the ship. Although reports at the time indicated that no one had received injuries on the ship, reports now are telling a different story.

Now, reports indicate that at least four people suffered minor injuries during the incident. Just as property owners on land are responsible for maintaining a safe premises, cruise lines are responsible for ensuring the safety of their passengers and crew. According to some reports, Royal Caribbean did not do this with the Anthem of the Seas. It’s believed and reported that the cruise line went ahead with the cruise despite knowledge of an impending storm in the area.

If you’re like a lot of our more frequent readers, this piece of evidence could indicate negligence on the cruise line’s part, meaning injured passengers would have grounds to seek compensation in a civil lawsuit. In fact, one passenger has already decided to take legal action against Royal Caribbean for what happened last month. It’s unknown at this time if further litigation is pending from other passengers.

Seeking compensation after suffering an injury on a cruise ship

Suffering even minor injuries can add up, especially if medical attention is sought. Cruise ship passengers should not have to pay for medical bills and continued treatment for their injuries if a cruise line’s negligence was the reason for the injuries.

It’s important to point out that while a cruise ship passenger can seek compensatory damages for their injuries, they should consider consulting with an experienced maritime attorney before filing a claim. That’s because personal injury laws work a little differently than those on land. You need to speak with a lawyer who knows the differences and how to seek compensation correctly.